Did you know that some plants could be toxic to your pup? There are a number of house plants that can cause serious issues if ingested by your pet so before turning your home into a greenhouse here are some plants to avoid or keep out of reach of your furry friends!
Tulips are very poisonous to dogs if they are eaten. poisonous plant for dogs. Your dog can suffer from gastrointestinal problems, central nervous system depression, and even convulsions and death.
Can cause diarrhea and vomiting
Sharp calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves can irritate a dog’s mouth and cause severe swelling and burning of the mouth and tongue. The irritation can lead to difficulty breathing and in very severe cases, death.
Pothos/ Devil's Ivy
This plant is toxic to both dogs and cats and can irritate the mouth and tongue. Your pet can also suffer from vomiting, increased salivation, and swallowing difficulties if the plant is ingested.
There are quite a few different lily plants that are toxic to animals, the Peace Lily, is toxic to dogs and cats while the Stargazer and Easter Lilies are toxic for cats only. The Stargazer and Easter Lily can be fatal to cats if it goes untreated and affects the cat's appetite and kidneys. As for the Peace Lily, your dog or cat could start vomiting and have a problem swallowing due to irritated lips and tongue.
Eating an Ivy plant can lead to skin rashes and/or breathing problems in your dog. If left untreated the Ivy can also lead to a coma or paralysis.
While the gel inside the aloe plant isn't toxic, the outside of the leaves and other parts of the plant are harmful to your dog's digestive system
Palm plants are very popular in warm climates and are very alluring and delicious to dogs. If your dog eats your palm plant they may suffer from liver failure and possible death if you do not go to the vet in time!
What Do I Do If My Dog Ingests Something Toxic?
- Gastrointestinal signs: vomiting, diarrhea, extreme salivation, loss of appetite, and nausea or dry heaving
- Internal bleeding: indicated by pale gums, a racing heart, coughing up or vomiting blood, weakness or lethargy, or falling over or collapsing
- Kidney failure: increased or decreased urination, increased drinking as well as lack of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Liver failure: yellow gums, acting abnormally or dully as well as tarry stool (melena), vomiting, diarrhea, or collapsing due to low blood sugar
How to Treat Dog Poisoning
If you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic or poisonous, do not try to treat your dog at home! Make sure to call your vet right away, and if you are aware of what your dog has eaten be sure to be upfront with that information! Do not be embarrassed that your dog has eaten something they shouldn't have.
There is a diverse range of treatments for a dog who has been poisoned including endoscopy and removal, inducing sickness, or severe cases, surgery. Your vet will be able to determine the best course of action from depending on what has poisoned your dog and how severe their symptoms are.